Friday, July 11, 2008

Ruins of Mexico and Chips and Salsa

On our day off the epee team decided to go for a little tour. Starting out going to town Cody and I made the spur of the moment decision to go to some close ruins. It all started out so well. The drive was nice. We got to see the countryside with all of its half built houses and plethora of animals. Mexico's countryside is very beautiful. Sweeping valleys and verdant green. The road is dotted with agave and almost every space crowed with maiz. The only thing breaking up the landscape was the cinder block houses, rising mountains, and pexmex petrol stations.

After our 4 hour two lane road adventure we arrived at the great ruin(no small feet considering the way is not really marked at all). Much to our surprise the great ruin of tlaxiclocua(sp?) near toluca is merely a small stone structure. Like a really big closet for the Aztec king. We would have toured the site but the gaurd insisted that it was after five and that he couldnt let us in because it would be a bad example for the locals.

Dissapointed and dejected we head home with me at the wheel instead. Despite a little rain and a overturned semi (so many trucks on this super small road) we made it back in 3 hours. Thirty and read for dinner we headed to the trusty porton reastaurant. They serve mexican food in a family atmosphere. Weary from the road we order beers. Since I speak spanish I order for us. After ordering the beer I thought she asked me if I wanted lime, salt, and chips. I said sure chips and salsa would be great. When the beer came I knew I had made a grave mistake. What we got was essentially a bloody mary mix minus the tomato juice with a salted rim mixed with our beer. It was horrible. So bad in fact that powering through it as quick as possible was the only way to get it down. I did feel very full afterwards though. The rest of the meal was good and we all headed to bed.

The day while dissapointing in many ways did offer some good points. Lunch at the hotel was great. The epee team got to bond a little. I know feel that I have seen the real countryside of mexico.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sounds like an interesting day--