Thursday, July 10, 2008

Nike+ band and Beacon Rock

While in Portland Paige helped me run. While running is not my favorite thing to do I do think it helps tremendously. With the day winding down Paige and I decided to go for a little work out. So we headed out to beacon rock.

Beacon Rock is a volcano core on the edge of the Columbia river. The hike is short but provides awesome views of the Columbia river gorge. While I wasnt able to run up the pinnacle we did make it up and down in 25 minutes according to my new nike band. The view was awesome and the weather couldnt have been better.

At the top we saw a open field/island that looked like it would be great for running. When we got to the bottom we went in search of this field. Turns out there is a town called South Bonneville and it has a disc golf course (i play a little) and a great park called Strawberry Island. Paige hates running hills (for the record I dont really like them either). For the last couple of runs that is all we have done and strawberry island was no different. One big long hill to cross the Island and then a nice flat path back. The island sits right below bonnevile dam and has a great view up and down the river.

I have now used the nike plus band for a couple of runs and I think it is great. I cant even feel the sensor in my shoe. The arm band itself is super light. The best part though is that when you are all done you just plug the band into your computer and login to nike plus and you can see your distance and pace. If you want you can setup goals and see what other people are running. Overall a really great product.

1 comment:

paige said...

Beacon Rock and Strawberry Island were amazing but why does every run need to be 90% uphill???It hurts, it does!!
Thanks for finding such great places! You make running- even the uphill fun.