Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Resting and Wathcing



This week has been a week full of sports. While practice has been light I have been watching a lot of other sports.

On TV the NBA finals has been on. Watching the greatest playoff comeback of all time was awesome. Seeing a group of players firing on all cylinders to make playoff history was great. The Boston Celtics are a great team. Watching Pierce shut down Kobe Bryant is very impressive.

I was inspired by the US Open this year. I have read a couple of books about golf (John Dailys book and one called Q School). Golf is a sport that I havent watched much of but the stories that I have read are always interesting. This year watching Tiger battle his body and Rocco was incredible. I do feel sorry for Rocco. He had the game of his life. He put histories greatest golfer to the limit and loses by one shot in the playoff. I only hope that history remembers the aging imperfect golfer that went the distance.

For live sports I got to see USA vs Brasil here in Colorado Springs. USA took the game 3-2. Each sport really has its own culture. Even men and women in the same sport are so different. Watching womens volleyball was very interesting. The one thing I did notice was how much the team trys to boost each others confidence. After every point there is reassurance. The game was very exciting and the crowd incredibly loud.

The final sport I saw was the Outlaws play at invesco field in denver. The Outlaws are a professional lacrosse team. We did some tailgating and watched from the 30 yard line. I haven't seen much lacrosse but the game was fun to watch. I think it would be even more fun to play. We learned afterwards that all the lacrosse players have another job. This team is really just their passion and they get paid very little for it. Most of the players live in other parts of the country and just fly in for the games. The whole experience was great. The Outlaws did a very nice job of giving the OTC athletes a great saturday.

It has been a restful week. Tomorrow I am off to Argentina for my final World Cup of the season. I always enjoy going to Argentina. It is the cheapest place we go and the steak is very tasty. La Cabrera here I come.

No comments: