Saturday, June 28, 2008

Lenovo and Vista

My first Vista experience was not good. My roomate bought a new computer and hated Vista so much that he went back to his 30lb Alienware with XP. Things have to be really bad to carry a 30lb laptop around the world right?

Needless to say I was a little worried when my new Lenovo came with with Vista. Timidly trying it out things seemed to work OK. However the true test was to install a bunch of programs, some games, and take the whole rig on a international trip.

I took the new laptop to Argentina and things worked out great. The OS has worked out pretty good. Despite all the bad things I have heard about vista I am really liking it. It took a little while to figure out how to run some programs but now I can run anything no problem. One of the features that is great is when you shut down vista saves the state of things. This way when you boot back up it does it super fast and all the programs you had running are ready to go.

The Lenovo laptop is great. I waited two months to write a second review to give me time to try out all of its features. I really like the built in mike and camera. The work really well with skype. The sound system is awesome. While it is fun to brag that my laptop has a subwoofer. It is even cooler that is sounds so great. Really top notch sound and plenty loud enough. I also really appreciate the dedicated sound button. The battery is good. It has 50 percent more life than my previous laptop. The screen is very clear and crisp. I also appreciate that instead of a fragile locking mechanism it just uses a mechanical advatange to stop from opening. The memory card slot accomadates my olympus memory(which is different than any other memory) which makes downloading pictures very easy.

Overall I have been really happy with the whole setup. Lenovo makes a really nice laptop. My only critisism is that I cant figure out how the inductive buttons work (i think they may only work with windows media player).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Seth, what's up dude its Mark Fischer from 16 I was watching the olympics and wondering how you were doing. I'm in Hawaii flying C-17s. Email me back if you want to catch up. Hope everything is going well for you!

rich sherwood said...

Hi Seth,

Lost track of you, miss the cigars. Hoan and I are living in Hanoi, having a great time. let's catch up.

rich sherwood
richs66@comcast.net