Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Argentina

I have always liked Argentina. It is a mix of european charm, great wine, and fantastic beef. I speak the language (although I cant always understand the heavier Argentine accent. I have had mixed results at tournaments their but I have always had a good time.

This time around I didnt do so well. I think a combination of burnout and lack of sleep did me in. I won my first bout easily enough to make the 16. In the sixteen I just got out hustled. I have a real problem with people who are heavy on the blade. Heinzer fenced well and I just couldnt get my excitment level. While my day went poorly Cody had a great day. He defeated the two people he lost to in the last two tournaments and ended up taking third. I have always know that Cody is a great fencer. It was great to see it really come out.

I had some good dinners this time in Argentina. Argentina has great wine, beef, and italian food. Almost half of the population is of Italian descent. The first night we ate near the hotel and the food was good. The thing I remember was the polenta. I like a dry polenta and this was just perfect. Paired with grilled vinegar mushrooms is was great.

The second night Cody, Dwight, his friends and I went to some restaurant. I cant remember the name. The picture above is the steak I had. The steak was mediocre but the appetizers mozzerela, empenadas, and ravioli were fantastic.

The third night after great debate we all headed to a restaurant called Dada. I was skeptical but pleasantly suprised. We had guacamole to start that was fantastic. Then the beef. This lomo(filet) was perfect. Just the right temp and so delicate. Really one of the best pieces of meat I have had in a long time.

The hotel were we stated the Dazzler Suites Juncal was awesome. At a mere 95 dollars a night we got to stay in a palace. The room was 40 feet long 15 feet wide and plush. Granite counter tops, hardwood floors, and a spacious balconey all in a great part of town. Breakfast was delivered to ones room for no extra charge. If you are ever in Argentina this is a great hotel.

Only two other things of note. The first is the long distance buses in Argentina make bus travel awesome. These double decker buses really made one feel comfortable. From our seats on the second level all the way in the front we could see everything. The seats were old school comfort. Plush, springy and super soft. The seats reclined far enough back that sleep was three sheep jumping over a fence away.

One our way to the airport I saw something I will probably never see again. Three miles of cattle side by side. The cattle trucks were all parked on the side of the road. As we sped by in our rickety taxi I just couldnt believe the sheer number of cows. From what I understand from the driver they were all waiting for the slaughter house. Piece together a couple of things the workers and the government are having problems and this has shut down the flow of food. Seeing truck after truck of grass fed beef just waiting was so strange. I only hope things get worked out before this great beef is wasted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seth,

This is Esteban, I work for Lenovo on the summergames project (I'm the man behind the curtains you could say). I happen to live at Argentina, so next time you're around feel free to ping me and I'll serve as a guide.

As for the cattle you saw, we had a farmer's strike for over 100 days which prevented a lot of cows from making it to the market. Farmers and Government went into negotiations again this last friday... which explains the humongous amount of cattle you witnessed.

Best regards,

Esteban Panzeri Glas
(panzeri (at) lenovo (dot) com)

HollyKelsey said...

No La Cabrera???? How sad!