Sunday, May 11, 2008

Challenge monal



Today was the final day of the Challenge Monal. Cody and I both made the second day. Cody went 4-2 in his pool and then won a close bout with Goetz from France. Today Cody fenced Grumier from France. Grumier is a tough bout. Watching the bout it just seemed like a bad match up. Next time Cody is going to try a different tactic. Cody is a great fencer I am sure he will win next time.

My first draw was Di Maggio from Switzerland. I was pretty excited when the Swiss coach told me that he didnt even know who he was. Di Maggio had beat Cougal from the Czech republic(normally a very strong fencer) the day before so I was a little cautious. The first period ended with me up 1. The second period I began to feel a little more comfortable and extended the lead to 3. The final score ended up being 15-8. This was a great draw for the first bout in the 64.

My second bout was against Gustin from France. I hadnt seen him before but the French are very deep in mens epee. The bout was close all along. In the final period I managed to get up 14-12. Then I made two mistakes; going back and going back. Gustin managed to tie and we went into overtime. I got priority(if the one minute runs out then I when (I have never seen this happen in mens epee)) and we were off. Gustin pushed and atacked. He missed then I went back at him and missed. Gustin retreated not quite far enough and made a lazy sweeping parry. Out of instinct I drilled him in the hand and earned the final touch.

My next bout was against Fabrice Jeannet. I have been fencing this guy since I was 17. I have never beaten him 1 on 1 and we are in France. Cody and I talked before the match and I felt like I had a good plan.

Unfortunately I did not execute the plan so great and I quickly got down 4 touches. There were a couple of doubles and then the score was 10-5. I manage to close within two touches only to go back down 12-8. Then I remembered something Cody told me in another match in March "Mix it up, move, make yourself unpredictable." So I did. 1 touche, 2 touches, 3 touches, 4 touches... I have tied it 12-12. The crowd erupted. 30 seconds left in the final period. What does Jeanett do? He attacks. I had really hoped we could fence one touch. I fended him off for a little bit and then we got a double. 25 seconds left Jeanett attacks again. This time I try to fend him off but I am going back instead of forward. He gets the touch. 6 seconds left down one touch. I have to go for it. I go forward and do my best. However today it wasnt good enough. Jeanett gets the touch and the bout is over.

I took some good tactical things away from today. I ended up in the top 16. I got a week to hang out in Paris. I am sad I lost when it was so close. Overall though it has been a great trip to Europe. I am excited to go home tomorrow. For photos check http://www.escrime-monal.com/ tomorrow. On a side note.

Happy Mothers Day Mom!

2 comments:

wwureader said...

Nice update! I feel like I'm there watching just reading it!

HollyKelsey said...

I actually got nervous reading this! lol. It's just like being there and watching in person! (ok well almost..)