Wednesday, May 7, 2008

6 Hour march through Paris

Despite a very late start to the day I saw a great deal. For 6 years Cody and I have been trying to see the sewers of Paris. Every time we go they seem to be closed for one reason or another. We tried to go yesterday but missed them by 5 minutes (they close at 1600). Today though we managed to make it. After lounging around until 1430 we finally mustered the effort to go out. After a short but very pleasant walk down the Seine we found the entrance near the Invalides. I got pretty excited when I saw a sign saying military received a discount. When I showed my military ID though all I got was a sort of blank stare from the man behind the glass. Turns out only French military get the discount.

25 quick steps down and we were in the sewers. The sewers of Paris are immense. They stretch for 2000 Kilometers. I was slightly apprehensive about entering an active sewer due to the probable smell. However the smell wasnt that bad. The beginning of the self guide tour(the only option available that I saw) is in a closed section of sewer. As you walk past signs about the construction and history you quickly find that you have ventured into a working Sewer.

The water just doesnt look good. At one time the Seine was flow point of all the sewers. Really disgusting when you realize at that time the drinking water source was also the sewers. Luckily the Parisians recognized this problem and made some changes.

The sewer works very well but needs to be maintained. The museum is filled with the machinery used to clean the sewers. The french that work the sewers are well paid and receive a nice pension. After seeing what they have to deal with it all makes sense.

The oddest thing about the sewer was the methane bubbles. When I stared down into the "water" I saw little bubbles. I wasnt sure what this was. Cody read some more signs and quickly discovered the bubbles are methane. Some of the bubbles can reach a meter in diameter.

Overall the tour was very awesome. I wished I could have explored more and found were the Ninja Turtles have their lair but it just wasnt possible. If you are ever in Paris I definitely recommend this stop.

Realizing that we had a great deal of light left we visited three more sights, the Arch de Triumph, Montemartre, and the Opera. The Arch is cool. Despite the very high price of 9 euro to go to the top we went. The view from up there is really spectacular. As well it should be after and endless set of stairs and 9 euro. Despite hunger and a nagging thirst we hoofed it over to Montemartre.

Montemartre was very nice. The climb up is tiring but the area is so quiet. The church at the top is very impressive. It looks different than any other church I have seen. The view from the front is also very impressive. After a liter of liquid we headed back to the apartment with a quick stop outside the Opera. 6 hours just flew by. While the Metro in Paris is great, seeing it by foot is a must.

No comments: