Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Back in the US


I am back in the US. After a what seemed like a long flight I was happy to be in my own bed. I now have a couple of weeks before I compete again. I am looking forward to the down time. Although the paper work and meeting make it less fun. I was fortunate though to get some free tickets the the Josh Turner and Carrie Underwood concert last night.


The tickets were pretty high up but we had a direct view of the stage. Josh Turner was the opening act. I have been to a total of two concerts in big arenas. This being the second. The first was a Linkin Park concert a couple of years ago. I am not the biggest fan of country but it is always interesting to see what other performers do.


Josh Turner seemed to be pretty good at what he does. His songs were not memorable to me. They sounded fairly generic. Maybe because I have the untrained country ear. The things I do remember though was one song about firecracker and something about a train and souls. The fiddler for his band seemed to be on his game. I dont see a lot of fiddle solos normally.


As the countdown timer wound down towards Carries's entrance the crowd started to go crazy. I have to imagine that is a great boost to ones ego. Her intro involved some music and a video shown on a big screen in the middle and two smaller screen on the side. As the music and video began to crescendo Carrie emerged from the floor in a very tight shirt and pants accented with four inch heeled boots that came to her knees. To top off the ensemble she had a very shiny belt. The first song was good but it seemed like her voice had not warmed up. The next hour and a half was not so memorable. She seemed professional but lacked the showmanship of other signers I have seen.


To cap the show though she did a very nice job. The second to last song was Paridise City by Guns and Roses. Because Axel Rose's voice is so high the cover worked nicely. The lead guitar in her band seemed to really relish being let out of the box. While the guitar work was nice in a such a large venue it is a little hard to hear and see how good he was. Either way it was a really fun song and a bold choice. For the final sound Carrie belted out Before He Cheats. While I have some philosophical problems with the song (what about the guys side of the story, maybe they were on a break, maybe that had broken up 6 months ago, maybe he was just having a beer, and really wrecking a mans truck is just spiteful) it is fun to listen to and I sang along. The words create a very vivid picture in ones mind and the tune is very catchy. Carrie really seemed to hit her stride with this song. Her movement and the way she could just belt this out was great to listen to.


While I wouldnt have gone if I had to pay but it was a fun concert to attend. Even if it was just to see something different. It is nice to watch someone else perform for a change. I am glad to be back in Colorado.


No comments: