Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Catacombs of Paris

Hello and welcome to my blog. Today I happen to be in Paris. While I have been here many times I have never been to the Catacombs. Cody and I decided to go finally. As we walked there, in my mind it seemed like any other tour. However as I descended the 83 steps and proceeded down the 500 meter long tunnel. I felt a rising lump in my throat. The whole experience reminded me of how I feel before the first bout of the day. The sign before you enter the actual catacomb reads "Stop, beware this is the land of the dead"(self translated from French (I don't actually speak French but I try)). This did not help a great deal. As entered the catacomb I was still nervous. The dark light and endless walls of human bones. As I journeyed further in though the nervousness disappeared. The catacomb is intriguing and disturbing. 2 million people have been laid to rest there. The tunnels dark and ominous seem to stretch and turn forever. One of the most strange sights is a place where the skulls are arranged in the wall in the shape of a heart. As you exit it becomes less and less creepy. When you climb the 83 steps and walk into the sunlight it all seems like a strange dream. The door as you exit has no sign and you are many blocks from the entrance. Overall it was a fascinating trip. If you are ever in Paris it is a definite must see.

No comments: