Sunday, August 10, 2008

Mens Epee Individual

Well the big day has come and gone. I found out who my draw was two days before the event, jeanett from france. I never thought I would curse my high ranking but Jeanett should not be ranked 28th.

Jeanett had to fence a bout before he got to me. The kirgistan guy fenced really well. The match was close all the way and for moments I thought Jeanett would lose. But every time Katurchin changed so did Jeanett. Katurchin just ran out of things to go to and Jeanett won by a slim but easy margin in the end.

After months of politicking, arguing, and bargaining I wasnt able to have my real strip coach with me. Cody Mattern has been the best coach to me. I really felt that together this year we did some great things and I had some huge results. I am thankful though that on the big day I at least had Ed Korfanty. Ed was my coach for 6 years. He really built the foundation of what I do on the strip and even after not giving an epee lesson for 8 years he did an amazing job. Although he was a little winded.

As I walked onto the floor I heard three things Kevin MO to my left. Andrea Lagan to my right and a huge american delegation with my family cheering at the top of their lungs. I am very lucky to have such great support.

In my bout with Jeanett things started off bad. I was hesitant and I wasnt retreating fully. So Jeanett hit me in the leg three times as I retreated to what I thought was a safe distance. Looking at the score 3-0 I thought to myself "Seth you should probably try an action." So I tried some actions and I tied it at the end of the first period. In the second period I managed to get the lead but then ended down 1 at the break. Jeanett was moving well but I was able to jam him up. It is so hard to move with him. You just never know when he might go.

In the final period i got down 13-10. I rushed forward getting a quick touch. I rushed forward again we both miss but I hit the remise. the judge awards the point. Jeanett asks for the review and my touch is overturned. time running out. I try to draw him out and take the blade but lady luck was on vacation.

I fenced a good bout. There are things I could have done better. but I was happy with what I did. Men's epee right now is very deep. There are a lot of talented fencers in the world. I just happened to draw the one that was fencing great that day.

5 comments:

hamlet said...

hi,
you are Seth but in Olympic it is written weston, so it was a little difficult to find your name in the correct page,

sad to know you can't pass the french player but this is the nature an essence of life,

this is Hamed from Iran, i am web log writer but in our own language not English,

anyway, it was fantastic to know your feeling from your own writings and notes,

bye now,
hamed

Unknown said...

mayhaps get thee to a treadmill before 2012

Anonymous said...

Seth -
Tough break in the round of 32. Got to watch it live on NBColympics.com.

I had no idea you were in the Air Force until I read the article in Military Times today. I was wondering, how many Epee fencers are in the WCAP program? The Navy doesn't have fencing as part of its WCAP program and, although I'm nowhere near Olympic caliber, I'm interested in possibly trying to get good enough for the World Military Games in 2011. Any help you could provide would be awesome!!

Thanks in advance, and you're right, Jeanett had no business being ranked that low.

v/r
Jason Pittman

Anonymous said...

Oh, and you can get ahold of my through my blog, www.checkswithchart.com

Jason

KMO said...

Hey Seth!

This is Kevin Mo. I can't believe it took me so long to finally find this blog page you told me about. The three things that I shouted were LETS GO SETH!!! But I guess it doesn't really matter anymore. Congratulations again on being in Beijing.

Peace,
Kevin